Digital Library Federation TEI Workgroup 2006-02 Meeting Minutes


This is not the canonical version of the minutes from this meeting. This is a copy of the (current version) of the DLF minutes, tranformed to XML and posted here for the benefit of the TEI-C, with many thanks to the DLF.

Action 1: make it clear to the TEI Consortium that we are an active group
Action 2: review the guidelines, and plan a progression
Action 3: consider adding MODS- or OAI-centric enhancements
Action 4: review how the TEI in Libraries Guidelines for Best Encoding Practices map to the DLF/NSDL OAI Best Practices
Action 5: identify which version of the Guidelines we are currently working on
Action 6: define the purpose of the TEI in Libraries Working Group
Action 7: provide links to previous versions of the Guidelines from the DLF Web site as both XHTML and TEI files
Action 8: explore the possibility of constructing METS-to-TEI-Level-1 transformations

day one: 2006-02-13

Introduction

Add a general descriptive paragraph at the beginning (look at the IMLS grant proposal, available from http://www.letrs.indiana.edu/t/tei/.

Compose one paragraph for each instantiation of the DLF-sponsored working group.

For the latest instantiation, include:
  • Matthew Gibson, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
  • Merrilee Proffitt, RLG
  • Natasha Smith, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • Perry Willett, The University of Michigan
  • Chris Powell, The University of Michigan
  • Syd Bauman, The TEI Consortium (don’t include in 2003 group list)
  • David Seaman, Digital Library Federation
  • Kirk Hastings, California Digital Library (absent from this meeting)

2nd paragraph, bullets—remove period after first bullet.

Background

1st paragraph, 1st sentence—change “TEIxLITE” to lower case. Point to previous versions of Guidelines, e.g., http://www.indiana.edu/~letrs /tei/draft.html.

General Recommendations

The amount of time editors spend on numbered divs is not trivial. However, the recommendation is to keep numbered divs.

Chris Powell has a stylesheet that counts divs and renumbers them. She will put it on the wiki.

Be clear that these general recommendations relate to P4 (and perhaps quantify the four-digit year following a colon, e.g., P4:2006).

Delete the number ‘1’ from <div> examples, e.g., <div1> .

Need for range of common practice and recommendations for each level.

specific recommendations

V.1. LEVEL 1: Fully Automated Conversion and Encoding

Note: Editorial declaration is in the header.

Necessity for recommendations of <header> use.

Articulate recommendation of at least one child container element per <div> and perhaps one per page. Extensibility is desired, and <ab> may aid this. Discuss the use of <ab> and, if it isn’t, state why it was not recommended.

Add a sentence about METS.

Specify recommendations for ordering structures using <pb> with id n, stating how n is used to demarcate what’s on the page and how to do it.

Include a section on IDs, discussing use, uniqueness, and linking pages.

Begin inserting recommendations about attributes at this point, i.e., use of double quotes.

Discuss the use of headers at this point, and point of to the DLF/NSDL OAI Best Practices document.

There may be an opportunity to mention the use authority work, i.e., pointing to name and subject authority file URLs.

V.2. LEVEL 2: Minimal Encoding (types and heads with front and back)

Purpose
  • Change keyword searching to full-text searching.
Rationale
  • Note: A navigational functionality begins to take structure in Level 2.
  • 1st paragraph, last sentence—delete ‘,but still does not require a specialist to identify’
  • 3rd paragraph, 1st sentence—change to read “Level 2 is not intended to be displayed separately from their page images.”
  • 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence—include a pointer to Level 3
  • Syd will report back to group regarding two- versus three-letter language codes

Compose a blurb about <bibl> and nesting within <head> elements.

Explain the use of <p> s and three-letter language codes.

Transpose the <div> and <head> elements in the code example.

V.3. LEVEL 3 Simple Analysis

Draw a distinction between endnotes and footnotes.

<notes> requires further discussion, i.e., leaving <note> s in line or in place.

Perry will take a crack at articulating and demonstrating the pros and cons of various uses of <note> s.

Rationale

First bullet—add “if”

V.4. LEVEL 4 Basic Content Analysis

Provide examples for HTML and print.

Rationale

Transpose bullets one and two.

day two: 2006-02-14

specific recommendations, continued

V.4. LEVEL 4 Basic Content Analysis

Recap from yesterday:

Does not require page images vs. images.

Reword indentations

Make 3rd paragraph under Rationale language more current.

Make all elements under Level 4 Prose, first bullet hyperlinks to the Guidelines explanations.

Discuss general guidelines for oral histories (Merrilee and Natasha to report back).

Change the “V.4.n, and think of a better ordering schema.

See Matthew’s notes for issues with Level 4 examples.

V.5. LEVEL 5 Scholarly Encoding Projects

This is outside the scope of our work.

V. Attribute Values

We may be venturing into project management best practices here. Perhaps we need to say more, if anything at all.

It would be worthwhile to mention the significance of being consistent in encoding practice, e.g., proper use of double quotes and equals sign to grease the wheels of Perl hacking.

Is this section Level 3 or 4 compliant?

Encoders need much help, and we have an opportunity to provide that here.

Matthew will present a straw man for comment.

Definition, mission, and purpose

There is a libraries group within the TEI Consortium, and we are a SIG within that group. We are also an initiative working group within DLF.

We need to establish better communication with the TEI Consortium.

Moving forward

How is the current work we are doing going to work with P5?

Can we convene during the summer 2006 to discuss the header document and to review our revision of the current iteration of the Guidelines.

Discussing the vendor DTD, DLF is willing to fund, in partnership with the TEI Consortium, this bit of work.

Who, what, and when questions need answering. A predecessor task is to have a cohesive document to look at before moving forward, and this could be assigned to a graduate student at one of the Consortium institutions. Look at Stanford’s work on GATT, UVa’s work on the Fever, and David’s work for Harper’s Weekly.

Conducting a survey would be a useful for mapping the landscape and a beneficial marketing exercise.

The remit is to do the technical work of developing a vendor DTD with two tracks of deliverables and cost-benefit analysis for each, and negotiate who and where a maintenance service will live, i.e., the TEI Consortium. Pursue a DTD for each level 1–4 of the Guidelines.

METS

Is Richard’s page-turner model primarily a Level-1 application, or is it extensible? This is as yet to be determined.

Q What do you want to prioritize using the page turner?

A You don’t want to dumb down the TEI, if you include METS. Do you duplicate the <div> structure in the METS document, and how can this be done efficiently and effectively?

If P5 can provide the desired functionality on its own, then there may be not need to incorporate METS.

Q What about inserting technical metadata in the description tag?

A This can be done, but isn’t a compelling reason not to use METS, which has a lot of promise for libraries.

The recommendation is weighted towards the second solution Richard provided, i.e., duplicating <div> structures. The third solution is least favored.

The structural map is problematic.

Richard will create a couple of pages on the METS page-turner application for Level-1 documents for discussion at the DLF Spring Forum 2006. Michael Popham may be available to present the results.

Task assignments and durations

  • Matthew will tweak Guidelines—finish 3/1/06.
  • Chris submits explanation for why Levels 1 and 2 are as is at Michigan—finish 2/17/06.
  • Christie will replace previous versions of the Guidelines—finish 2/17/06.
  • Merrilee will draft piece on oral histories for Natasha—finish 3/1/06.
  • Richard will finish METS page turner piece for comment—finish 4/10/06.
  • Perry will work on <note> s piece—finish ?
  • Merrilee will contact Jerry McDonough about assigning a graduate student to work on an analysis and synthesis of the versions of the Guidleines—finish (end of spring)?
  • Contact Liz Shaw for a quote to work on an analysis and synthesis of the versions of the Guidleines—finish (end of spring)?
  • Merrileec will provide URL to an analysis similar to the work we need done—finish 2/17/06.
  • Get documentation about TEI headers from Michigan—finish 2/17/06.
  • Discuss the TEI headers at the Google symposium at Michigan—finish 3/9/06.
  • Attach #10 to the amended Guidelines or somewhere on the DLF Web site—finish ?
  • Post amended Guidleines on the DLF Web site—?
  • Vet the revised Guidelines—?
  • Plan a teleconference to discuss the vetted Guidelines 3/15/06, 4:15 p.m. EST—finished.
  • Meet at the Annual ALA Conference, Sunday, June 25, 2006, in New Orleans—finished.
  • Post links to the minutes from this meeting and the revised Guidelines on the TEI Consortium Web site—finish ?
  • Syd will post a RFC to the TEI library SIG—finish ?

Last recorded change to this page: 2007-04-22  •  For corrections or updates, contact web@tei-c.org