Revised minutes of the TEI Consortium Board of Directors Meeting Tingviken, Utne in Hardanger, Norway. May 11-12, 2001
David R. Chesnutt
7 June 2001;

Attending: John Unsworth, Chair, University of Virginia; Julia Flanders, Brown University; Sebastian Rahtz, Oxford University; Claus Huitfeldt, University of Bergen; David Chesnutt, Secretary, Association for Computers and the Humanities; Jan Hajic, Association for Computational Linguistics; Antonio Zampolli, Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing; Lou Burnard, Editor, Oxford University; Steve DeRose, Editor, Brown University; Tone Merete Bruvik, Executive Director, University of Bergen; Kristine Breivik, University of Bergen.

May 11, 2001

John Unsworth called the meeting to order and the following business was conducted.

Certification

The Board certified that due notice of the meeting was given two weeks in advance.

Approval and Adjustment of the Agenda

The Board adjusted and approved the agenda to include discussions of document numbering, the budget for 2002-2004, and the schedule for the following day's meeting on May 12.

Election of Recording Secretary

The Secretary remarked that the minutes would not include transcriptions of the discussions. Rather, they would record points made and actions taken. The Board accepted Julia Flanders's and Jan Hajic's offer to take transcriptive notes to aid the Secretary in preparing the minutes.

The Executive Director's Report

Tone Merete Bruvik noted that the TEI Consortium was formally established in December 2000, that Claus Huitfeldt and Kristine Breivik (temporarily serving as executive director) visited Brown, Virginia and Oxford in January, that she (Tone Merete) started March 1st, and that she visited Brown and Virginia in March and Oxford in April to discuss matters pertaining to the consortium.

Tone Merete next explained how the consortium is being managed at Bergen. Tone Merete focuses on membership recruitment and general management issues; Kristine assists Claus Huitfeldt with management of the budget; Torill Revheim assists with accounting and membership management; and Anne Lindebjerg helps prepare publications. Tone Merete expressed her appreciation for their help in supporting the activities of the consortium

Tone Merete noted that she has done most of the updating of the membership contact database established by John Unsworth. However, she urged Board members to update the database themselves as they move through the process of recruiting members.

Tone Merete then reported on the status of the consortium's membership. To date, Consortium has:
Paid members 6
Members invoiced but unpaid 6
Agreements to become members 6
Agreement to join in 2002 1
Individual subscribers 2

Tone Merete estimated that the membership fees for the above will amount to $51,350.

She noted that of the 60 institutions in the contact database, 14 have become members (4 from Europe and 10 from the U.S.)

Several Board members reported that additional agreements have been made with other institutions and projects which were not included in Tone Merete's report. The Board then briefly discussed the need to expand recruitment in Europe and the issue of negotiating membership levels.

John Unsworth pointed out that while negotiations are sometimes necessary to place a member in the appropriate level (div 0, div1, div2, div3), the fees for each category of membership are not negotiable. In the case of Modern Language Association which offered a $1,000 "contribution," the membership level was set at div3 ($500) and the remainder considered as a contribution.

Budgets for 2001, 2002-2004

Claus Huitfeldt distributed the revised budgets for 2001 and 2002-2004. Both were based on the initial projections in the business plan and will need to be modified in light of 1) the $128,482 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities; 2) adjustments to the revenue projections; and 3) adjustments to the expenditure projections. Discussion of the NEH grant was deferred for the moment.

The Board agreed that the revisions should be undertaken by John Unsworth and Claus Huitfeldt. Several general points made during the Board's discussion included:
  • the need to adjust expenses for inflation
  • the need to adjust training and work group projections
  • the need to adjust membership income projections

Overview of Editors' Activities

Lou Burnard reported that his major activities included consultancies for six projects in the UK, TEI presentations at six meetings (2 in France, 1 each in England, Spain, India, and Italy), and conducting three TEI workshops at Oxford and workshops at other sites.

Steve DeRose reported his major activities included work with the W3C X-Link work group with a major focus on gaining acceptance for the TEI x-pointer mechanism as well as work on the revisions of the TEI Guidelines (P3) and training for the TEI work group on medieval manuscripts.

Overview of the NEH Proposal

Steve DeRose explained that the NEH proposal was drafted by Allen Renear to support the XMLization of the TEI Guidelines. John Unsworth noted that the grant is worded as though we are leaving SGML behind. Antonio Zampolli raised the issue of whether or not earlier TEI documents would be compatible. Steve DeRose replied that the earlier documents would in fact not be compatible. Further discussion of the issue was postponed until the Saturday discussion on the NEH proposal.

Review of the Work Groups

Lou Burnard reported that both the Master Project (an EU project) and the Medieval Manuscripts Work Group are actively working to develop a markup system for the cataloging of medieval manuscripts which would extend the TEI Guidelines. He recommended that the work of both groups be reviewed.

Further discussion indicated that the two groups may possibly collaborate and produce a single markup system. After an extensive discussion on the current activities of the two groups, John Unsworth asked Lou Burnard to invite both groups to file reports by June 1. The Board voted unanimously in favor of this action.

Review of the Consortium Council and Nominations

John Unsworth noted that the Council governs the technical aspects of the consortium and the Board of Directors governs the business of the consortium.

The Board discussed the election procedures to be used in selecting members of the Council and filling the two seats on the Board of Directors and agreed to the following:
  • The Nominating Committee shall nominate candidates for six positions on the Council and for two seats on the Board both to serve for two year terms.
  • The Board will appoint four members of the Council to serve one-year terms in order to have a full Council.
  • Elections will be held the next year to fill the appointed seats on the Council and the newly elected members will serve two-year terms--thus alternating elections the Council so that six members are elected the first year and four members are elected the next year, etc.
  • The Nominating Committee will nominate more than six people for the Council and more than two people for the Board in order to provide members with a choice of candidates.
  • The Nominating Committee will make recommendations to the Board as to who should be appointed to the Council for one-year terms.
  • The Nominating Committee will ask potential candidates for the Council whether they are willing to be nominated for appointment and/or nominated to stand for election. No candidate will be put forth who has not agreed in writing to serve if elected or appointed.
  • The Board amended the by-laws to enable the TEI editors to serve on the Nominating Committee and then elected the following people to serve on the committee:
    • Julia Flanders, Chair
    • Lou Burnard
    • David Chesnutt
    • Jan Hajic
    • Antonio Zampolli

Board members suggested a number of persons to be considered for the nominations to the Council and to the Board. Rather than extend the conversation further, the Board agreed to forward the names of all potential candidates to the Nominating Committee.

The Board adjourned for lunch and then reconvened.

Discussion of Changes to By-Laws

Claus Huitfeldt distributed copies of TEI charter, articles of incorporation, by-laws, membership agreement and business plan.

The Board voted to act on the recommended changes to the by-laws without submitting the changes to the membership for ratification. The changes included changes in the wording:
  • to reflect that the fiscal year is the calendar year
  • to allow for-profit entities full membership privileges

The first change, adopted by acclamation, substitutes January 1 for June 1 in Article II.1 and December 31 for June 30 in Article III.5

The second change, adopted unanimously, omits the words "Non-profit projects" and adding the words "projects and companies" in the first sentence of Article I.1.A so that it now reads:

Institutions, consortia, organizations, projects and companies can be members of the TEI-C.

The Board discussed but made no change in Article VII of the by-laws which sets forth procedures for amending the by-laws.

The Board agreed to take up the remainder of the agenda on Saturday.

May 12, 2001

The Board reconvened at 9:30 a.m.

Discussion of the NEH grant

The Board agreed that the Consortium should maintain both forms (XML and SGML) of the TEI DTD. Lou Burnard explained that the system used to generate the DTD and the Guidelines can accomplish this by simply having a "switch" which determines which DTD is to be generated.

Lou Burnard reported that the editors expect to have draft versions of the new DTDs completed before the ACH-ALLC conference in New York City on June 14. Once the draft is completed, Lou Burnard suggested that the following steps should be taken:
  • Testing of the new DTDs by various projects
  • Survey of existing projects to determine if they are migrating to XML
  • Updating the Guidelines with examples appropriate to XML

An extended discussion about the "Pizza Chef" software revealed that the LEX programs which allow users to customize the DTDs will not handle Unicode and will therefore limit what people can do. John Unsworth pointed out that revision of the Pizza Chef system is not part of the NEH work plan and would have to be deferred until later.

The next discussion focused on defining the work and the Board agreed to the following items:
  1. Conversion to XML by implementing EDW69 which defines the changes which need to be made
  2. Development of XML tools (XSL stylesheets) to replace all of the old P1 and P3 Snobol tools
  3. Edit the Guidelines to replace inappropriate SGML text and examples
  4. Survey users to determine what their plans are and what tools are needed to accomplish those plans
  5. Develop the tools users need

Lou Burnard and Steve DeRose are working on Item 1; Lou Burnard and Sebastian Rahtz are working on Item 2; Steve DeRose is working on Item 3; and Julia Flanders volunteered to work on Item 4. Item 5 is to be deferred until Item 4 is completed.

In terms of the budget, the Board concluded that John Unsworth and Claus Huitfeldt should re-evaluate the 2001-2002 general budget in light of the NEH budget; that they should draft new budgets; and that the budgets should be submitted to the Board and finalized versions presented at the Annual Meeting of the Membership.

Miscellaneous Items

The Board agreed to use up to $25,000 to fund a half-time person to maintain, add new documents, and write technical documentation for the Consortium Web site.

The Board accepted Antonio Zampolli's offer to organize the first Annual Membership Meeting at a site in Italy.

John Unsworth appointed Sebastian Rahtz to conduct a survey to determine what training courses the Consortium should offer to members.

The Board agreed with Lou Burnard's suggestion that Consortium documents be numbered and that a registry of documents be established at Bergen.

The Board agreed that membership fees can be prorated if an applicant requests proration and agrees continue membership for a second year.

The Board agreed that consortiums and other membership organizations like the Modern Language Association can join either as a single-member with one vote or that they can negotiate a special rate for their members wherein each unit which joins would likewise have voting privileges.

The Board adjourned after offering thanks and applause to the hosts Tone Merete Bruvik, Kristine Breivik, and Claus Huitfeldt.


Last recorded change to this page: 2007-09-16  •  For corrections or updates, contact web@tei-c.org