TEI Board Meeting (teleconference) 2012-04-26, 1300-1400 GMT
- Agenda circulated on TEI-Board email list:
- Those in attendance:
- Meeting procedures & general procedures for conducting of business
- Discussion of Agenda
- Consent Agenda
- Item IV. Existential Board Issues:
- Conference update
Agenda circulated on TEI-Board email list:
Those in attendance:
- John Unsworth, Chair (JU)
- Marjorie Burghart (MB)
- Lou Burnard (LB)
- Arianna Ciula (AC)
- Marin Dacos (MD)
- Sophie David (SD)
- Laura Mandell (LM)
- Martin Mueller (MM)
- Elena Peirazzo (EP)
- Dot Porter (DP)
- David Sewell (DS)
- John Walsh (JW)
- Sarah Wells (SW)
- Martin Wynne (MW)
Meeting procedures & general procedures for conducting of business
As meeting got underway, MD requested some sort of open notepad, Google Doc, etc. for communication during teleconferences. Other alternatives or supplements to teleconferences and face-to-face meetings were briefly discussed.
Discussion of Agenda
- JU asked for any additions to the agenda.
- DS brought up issues of elections, deferred to future business.
- Discussion of communications processes (Google Docs, chat rooms, etc.) deferred to future business.
- JU reviewed revised consent agenda and opened it up to discussion.
- MM moved to adopt revised consent agenda.
- JW seconded.
- [??] asked for clarification of the need for and role of the of the position of "immediate past Treasurer." JU and SW explained that the position was suggested to facilitate the transition to a new Treasurer and necessary to continue to conduct some necessary business, primarily bank transactions.
- Discussion of “4. Agree to renew the TEI trademark.” Some board members questioned the cost and the fact the trademark was protected only in the U.S.
At JU's suggestion, trademark question was removed from the consent agenda: > Revised Consent Agenda > > 1. Elect Dot Porter Treasurer > 2. Appoint Sarah Wells immediate past Treasurer, for a two-year term > 3. Agree to continue charging membership and subscription fees > agenda and deferred to future business.
- JW moved to adopt the revised consent agenda.
- AC seconded.
- Unanimous vote to approve revised consent agenda.
- Question from Elena on status of conftool for TEI conference.
- Action Item [JU]: Check on status of conftool.
Item IV. Existential Board Issues:
- JU clarified that “shrinking” the Board did not necessarily mean reducing its numbers but perhaps reducing its financial footprint.
- Discussion of ways to reduce costs, primarily travel.
- Discussion of whether or not to continue face-to-face meetings. EP, JW and others [??] felt face-to-face meetings were important, both to conduct business and to interace with community at conference (since Board face-to-face meetings are traditional held at the conference).
- Discussion of ways to reduce travel costs: no face-to-face meetings; Board members pay their own way; Board members pay their own way, if they can receive funding from their institutions; travel costs are capped, with Board members expected to cover some of their own travel costs.
- In context of cost of the Board, MM raised issues of revenues, and suggested new funding models that would reduce institutional membership fees and hopefully result in more members paying lower fees.
Outreach & Promotion
- LB raised importance of Board's role conducting and coordinating outreach activities. Many others agreed this was an important role for the Board.
- Discussion of other groups that may be able to and/or currently do contribute to outreach and promotion: a sub-group of Council, SIGs, partners, member institutions/projects/individuals.
JU summarized discussion to this point:
- general agreement that it is useful to meet face-to-face
- important activities of the Board include:
- support of council
- general administrative functions
- organizing conference
- supervising elections
- maintenance of web site
- overseeing membership
- organizing outreach
- Discussion whether these activities, including conducting and coordinating outreach could be done with fewer elected Board members. Those who commented on this issue felt that the activities of the Board could be conducted with fewer elected members. The motivations mentioned for a smaller Board were efficiency and cost savings.
- Action Item [JU]: Circulate notes on existential issues discussed and possible ways to move forward on some of these issues.
- Summary of current state preparations by LM.
- Discussion of hotels, excursion.
- Action Item [LM]: Conference website to be ready in two weeks.
- Estimate of about 150-200 attendees based on past attendance.