TEI Board Minutes: Conference Call 2016-01-12


Contents

TEI Board Minutes: Conference Call 2016-01-12

In attendance:

  • Michelle Dalmau (MD)
  • Martin Mueller (MM)
  • Kathryn Tomasek (KT)
  • Pip Willcox (PW)
  • John Unsworth (JU)

Apologies:

  • Marjorie Burghart (MB)
  • Elena Pierazzo (EP)

Action Items

  • MD: to check that Paul O’Shea’s term as Social Media Officer has ended.
  • MD: to add updating the Bylaws to allow for the appointment of an officer to support the Treasurer to the Board’s work.
  • MD: to ask JU what additional work the accountant can undertake: for example the tasks around membership and acting as official TEI address.
  • All: to comment on appointment of Programme Chair from the Board or from local hosts via email.
  • MB, PW and Emmanuelle Morlock: to revisit conference notes and guidelines.
  • PW: to write the Programme Chair’s conference report from 2015.
  • All: register to use Wiki, and use space to document work and set agendas.
  • MD: to follow up EP’s Action Items from 1 November 2015 meeting.
  • MD: to summarize the future work of the Board and outline how it will be achieved.
  • MD: to ask JU for a time he can join a meeting.
  • MD: to ask Paul O’Shea for a report on the impact of the Social Media Officer’s role, benchmarking studies, metrics, and archiving.
  • MD: ask Paul O’Shea for a report on the impact of social media and the Officer’s role on the TEI.
  • MD: to check on the Web Masters’ progress.
  • MD: to draw up a roadmap for the year.
  • All: to comment on roadmap.
  • MD: to work on agendas, outlining and prioritizing our work, and accounting for dependencies.
  • MD: to investigate the viability of Skype and Google Hangouts.
  • PW: to send minutes to KT for checking, then to the Board for approval.
  • MD: to send her encoding template for Minutes to KT.

Agenda

  • Meeting Procedures and Other Announcements
  • Volunteer for Minutes-Taking; Volunteer for Reviewer
  • Welcome Kathryn Tomasek! Quick Roundtable Introductions by Board
  • Members (name, role, voting/non-voting)
  • Anne Baillot has accepted the position of Managing Editor for JTEI!
  • Approve Board Meeting Minutes: 1 November 2015:
  • Elect Officers (see http://www.tei-c.org/About/bylaws.xml#TEIby-A3)
  • Chair
  • Secretary
  • Membership Secretary
  • Programme Chair for the 2016 TEI Members' Meeting and Conference (see http://www.tei-c.org/Board/procedures.xml#body.1_div.4)
  • Using the TEI-C Wiki
  • Monthly Meetings (review existing time, second Tuesday of every month)
  • Documentation
  • Review Select Action Items from 01/11/2015 Board Meeting
  • Redefine Existing Offices: Membership Secretary, Secretary, and Treasurer (impact the ByLaws)
  • Update procedural documentation and processes for the Board and for Members' Meeting Planning
  • Outsourcing Back Office Work: Filing Taxes, Bookkeeping and Reimbursements
  • Recruit a New Social Media Coordinator
  • TEI-C Website Redesign: Next Steps?
  • Issue a Call to Host the MM2018 in early 2016
  • Misc action items, some of which have been resolved (if time permits)
  • Agenda Setting for Feb, March and April
  • [Any other business]

Minutes

1.0 MEETING PROCEDURE AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS

The meeting was quorate.

1.1 PW volunteered to take the minutes. KT volunteered to check them.

1.2 KT was welcomed to the Board. Board members introduced themselves and noted that MB, MD, and MM had one year left of their current terms. KT and PW have two-year terms from January 2016. JU’s non-voting role was noted as essential to the TEI, and at Board meetings. MD and KT had already been in contact. MD, MM, and PW offered to help KT with any questions. MM suggested reading minutes of the Board and Council was an instructive way to learn about the community.

1.3. Anne Baillot’s acceptance of the role of Managing Editor for jTEI was welcomed. The Board congratulated her in absentia.

2.0 BOARD MEETING MINUTES: 1 November 2015:

MD asked whether the Elections Committee described in the Guidelines was the same entity as the Nominating Committee described in the Bylaws ( http://www.tei-c.org/About/bylaws.xml#TEIby-A3). MM agreed it was as there is nothing about an Elections Committee in the Bylaws and their duties were agreed to be the same. MD noted that as we reconsider the balloting process we should use the correct nomenclature.

MD checked whether Paul O’Shea (Social Media Officer)’s term is finished and a new Social Media Officer is to be recruited.

Action: MD to check the Social Media Officer’s term.

MD asked whether links were to be added to the detailed discussions and documents about new back office arrangements. It was agreed that there would not be links, as they might contain commercially sensitive information that is not the TEI’s property.

MD proposed approving the minutes with these changes. MM and PW supported the proposal and the minutes were approved.

3.0 ELECT OFFICERS

MD introduced the election of officers and described the process involved. She noted in particular that the work of the Chair of the Board is not insignificant. She suggested that some of the roles, particularly that of Membership Secretary, could usefully be rethought, and that the Board and the TEI need committed individuals to get through the heavy workload ahead.

MD was willing to continue as Board Secretary and offer great support to the Chair.

PW suggested not giving major tasks to members new to the Board. KT was happy not to take on a major role. MD noted that as a newcomer she had volunteered to act as Board Secretary as a way of getting to understand the TEI and it had worked well.

MM commented that the role of Membership Secretary was key as the TEI’s long-term future depends on signing up more institutional members at lower costs of between $250 and $1,000 per annum. Through JU’s advocacy the TEI has done well recruiting individual members. There are about 250 memberships, which bring in about $12,000 per annum. MM has waited for TEI Simple’s completion and documentation online to use as part of a membership drive.

JU made a plea for help with membership and its transactions. His ability to continue as Treasurer is contingent on being supported in this. Treasurer’s duties include filing taxes, liaison with the accountant, and reimbursements. Undertaking invoicing as well is too much work for one volunteer. JU suggested a longer term appointee, like the Treasurer’s appointment, who would undertake the persistent tasks where members often ask for help. JU answered PW that the country of residence of this person is not important.

MD noted that to achieve this would require a change in the Bylaws.

Action: MD add this to the Board’s work.

Until the Bylaws can be considered and updated accordingly, MD suggested this is work the Membership Secretary could undertake. Her suggestion was agreed.

JU noted that he had hired a new accountant (and left the meeting at this point).

Action MD: ask JU what additional work the accountant can undertake: for example the tasks around membership and acting as official TEI address.

3.1 CHAIR

KT nominated MD as Chair noting MD has gained useful experience as Vice-Chair. MD noted she only has one year of her current term on the Board left, and accepted the nomination. MM and PW supported the proposal.

MD is Chair of the Board.

3.2 SECRETARY

MD nominated KT as Secretary. KT accepted the nomination. MM and PW supported the proposal.

KT is Board Secretary.

3.3 MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY

MD proposed MM continue as Membership Secretary. KT and PW supported the proposal.

MM is Membership Secretary.

3.4 PROGRAMME CHAIR

MM suggested the Programme Chair for the TEI Members’ Meeting and Conference need not be a Board member. The Board’s responsibility would be to pick a suitable venue/institution. The local hosts could pick a Programme Chair, and invite members of the Technical Council onto the Programme Committee for guidance (see email archive).

Action all: to comment on this via email.

Action MB and PW: to revisit conference notes and guidelines.

MD followed up on a suggestion from the previous Board Meeting that a Conference Chair could be useful by suggesting that role could be undertaken by default by the Chair of the Board.

A decision on Programme Chair was postponed until the 2015 report can be considered.

Action PW: to write the Programme Chair’s conference report from 2015.

4.0 USING THE TEI-C WIKI

MD has created a communal space on the TEI-C Wiki for use in Board work.

Action all: register to use Wiki, using this space to document work and set agendas.

MD offered help to anyone needing help using a Wiki.

5.0 REVIEW SELECT ACTION ITEMS FROM 01 NOVEMBER 2015 BOARD MEETING

MD reported that EP was dealing with some Action Items about the jTEI.

Action MD: to follow up EP’s Action Items with her.

5.1. MD is redrafting roles for existing offices, including Membership Secretary and the non-voting Board member to support the Treasurer (see 3 above).

Action MD: to summarize the future work of the Board and outline how it will be achieved.

5.2 MD is updating procedural documentation, and will ask EP, MM, and JU to share their great experience. PW is working on the TEI Members’ Meeting and Conference guidance (see Agenda item 3, Action Items 5 and 6 above); MB and Emmanuelle Morlock are revisiting this too (see Minutes of the previous meeting). MD requests that we do as much work as possible over email.

5.3. MD reported that JU will email about out-sourcing back office work, with details of what the accountant can undertake on the TEI’s behalf. MD notes that JU cannot make the regular meeting time.

Action MD: to ask JU for a time he can join the meeting so we can benefit from his experience.

5.4. MM questioned what difference a Social Media Officer makes. PW and KT supported keeping the role. MD suggested we keep the role for at least another year, posting a position description to the TEI List and approaching likely individual members to encourage applications for the role.

Action PW: draft position description.

Paul O’Shea’s work in social media including hosting live chats, actively engaging in online conversation, curating established and emergent elements of the TEI community. was commended. It was agreed to seek evidence and make a judgment accordingly.

Action MD: to ask Paul O’Shea for a report on the impact of the Social Media Officer’s role, benchmarking studies, metrics, and archiving.

(see also Agenda item 2, Action Item 1 above).

5.5. MD noted work on the TEI website is much needed.

Action MD: to check on the Web Masters’ progress.

5.6. MD suggested publishing the Call to host MM2018 in early 2016, earlier than in previous years. No decision was made.

6.0 AGENDA SETTING FOR FEBRUARY, MARCH, AND APRIL

Next tasks include revisiting the Bylaws and voting for amendments to them. MD noted we have enough Action Items to set the agenda for the coming months.

Action MD: to draw up a roadmap for the year. Action all: to comment on roadmap. MD will set agendas a few months before each meeting. Action MD: to work on agendas, outlining and prioritizing our work, accounting for dependencies.

MD will call for volunteers over email to take on particular pieces of work. Agenda-discussion and -setting will happen on the Wiki.

Action PW: to produce internationalization report.

Action MM: to produce a challenging report on the TEI, taking a zero-base budget review to everything.

Action MD: to contact MB and check if the regular meeting time works for her.

Action MD: to find a meeting time with JU to discuss back-office work further.

7.0 OTHER BUSINESS

MD sought opinions on other options for virtual meetings, given the technical problems encountered this call, and the desirability of seeing each other. Skype and Google Hangouts were suggested.

Action MD: to investigate the viability of Skype and Google Hangouts.

Action PW: to send minutes to KT for checking, then to the Board for approval.

Action MD: to send her encoding template for Minutes to KT.

Minutes taken by PW. And encoded by KT.


Last recorded change to this page: 2016-04-26  •  For corrections or updates, contact web@tei-c.org