Because the TEI Guidelines must cover such a broad domain and user community, it is essential that they be customizable: both to permit the creation of manageable subsets that serve particular purposes, and also to permit usage in areas that the TEI has not yet envisioned. Customization is a central aspect of TEI usage and the Guidelines are designed with customization in mind.
- Use the Roma web tool to select TEI modules, add and delete elements, and make other choices; see Creating TEI Customizations with Roma for more detailed information on using Roma. (Use the Pizza Chef application to create customized TEI-conformant DTDs for P4 and earlier versions of the Guidelines.)
- Write your own customization by hand using the TEI ODD language; see Getting Started with P5 ODDs and Using the TEI (Chapter 23 of the Guidelines) for more detailed information on how to do this.
Customizations provided by the TEI Consortium
|Lite||TEI Lite, the most widely used TEI customization; includes basic elements for simple documents||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD||HTML|
|TEI Tite||A constrained customization designed for use by keyboarding vendors.||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD||HTML|
|Bare||TEI Absolutely Bare, a very barebones schema with the absolute minimum of elements||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
|All||TEI with all modules included||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
|Corpus||TEI for Linguistic Corpora, includes the modules for encoding linguistic corpora||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
|MS||TEI for Manuscript Description, includes the elements for describing manuscripts and complex physical aspects of documents||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
|Drama||TEI with Drama, includes the TEI drama module||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
|Speech||TEI for Speech Representation, includes the TEI module for spoken language||ODD||DTD||RNG||XSD|
Customizations provided by the TEI community
To have your customization listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best Practices for TEI in Libraries
- A guide for mass digitization, automated workflows, and promotion of interoperability with XML using the TEI (website, prose documentation, ODD files)
- EpiDoc: Epigraphic Documents in XML
- A P5 customization for encoding epigraphic materials (Guidelines, SourceForge site, ODD)
- Digital Archive of Letters in Flanders (DALF)
- A P4 customization for detailed encoding of letters (Project site and DTD files)
- Model Editions Partnership
- A P4 customization for encoding editions of historical documents (Project, guidelines, reference manual, DTDs)
- TEI with Music Notation
- A P5 customization allowing use of elements from the Music Encoding Initiative (MEI).
Please see the customizations category of the TEI wiki for more customizations and more about the customization process.